Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dent Devils., Get the thumbs up from me
Timbo
post Jun 15 2012, 09:56 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,715

I had a small dent on my bonnet, which was caused by an unsightly character. It was creased really, not a dent as such. It had been bent down around a small support under the bonnet.

I was originally quoted £300 for a repair, which included a panel repair, respray and blending on the front wings Not a bad price for that amount of work to be honest.
I did some research and found a company called Dr Dent which were highly recommended. Unfortunately they did not reply to my email or phone calls, so I gave Dent Devils a call.

The guy I spoke to, in this local area (John) was friendly and reliable throughout, always would call back, arrived on time at a location I requested (my home on this occasion) as expected, performed the job in the rain and still had a smile on his face at the end of it.

What's more, the repair method known as "PDR" did not require any paintwork to be done, so it cost me £90 in the end.
Would definately be using them again, there is a small dent on my rear door caused by someone slamming their car door open into mine. (Parent and baby spaces anyone?) and that will cost £50 to remove.

Happy days.

if anyone is interested I have his number, drop me a PM and you can have it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Jun 15 2012, 10:23 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (Timbo @ Jun 15 2012, 10:56 AM) *
...there is a small dent on my rear door caused by someone slamming their car door open into mine. (Parent and baby spaces anyone?) and that will cost £50 to remove.

Happy days.

It's only a car. I wouldn't get so worked up about it. Also, I doubt someone "slamming" their car door into yours would only cause a small dent as you suggest, so perhaps it was more an accidental knock, rather than an act of aggression. With the way you go on about cars - and parent and child spaces - I think you would have gotten on famously with a chap who used to post here... wink.gif

Still, I'm glad you found someone good and local to do the required work at a decent price. £90 is a good deal easier on the wallet than £300.

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post Jun 15 2012, 10:26 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,697

QUOTE (massifheed @ Jun 15 2012, 11:23 AM) *
It's only a car. I wouldn't get so worked up about it. Also, I doubt someone "slamming" their car door into yours would only cause a small dent as you suggest, so perhaps it was more an accidental knock, rather than an act of aggression. With the way you go on about cars - and parent and child spaces - I think you would have gotten on famously with a chap who used to post here... wink.gif

It is only a car but some people take pride in their property and like a well presented vehicle. Parent and child spaces go along way to stopping idiots opening their car doors and hitting yours.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 15 2012, 10:33 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (andy1979uk @ Jun 15 2012, 11:26 AM) *
It is only a car but some people take pride in their property and like a well presented vehicle. Parent and child spaces go along way to stopping idiots opening their car doors and hitting yours.

You can teach children not to do this.....

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Jun 15 2012, 10:34 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (andy1979uk @ Jun 15 2012, 11:26 AM) *
Parent and child spaces go along way to stopping idiots opening their car doors and hitting yours.

I'm not entirely sure what you are suggesting here. Is it that everyone should park in parent and child spaces so that there is more room between cars? Or only those who take pride in their cars? Or perhaps that it's "idiot" parents who should be parking in those spaces - but aren't - that are then open their doors into others cars?

I'm not sure what parent and child spaces have to do with "idiots" that are less than careful about opening their car doors?

I'm also convinced that, while some people are just careless, in many cases where car doors bump into other cars, it's not malicious in any way - as some people seem to suggest - and is simply and accident.

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post Jun 15 2012, 10:50 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,697

QUOTE (massifheed @ Jun 15 2012, 11:34 AM) *
I'm not entirely sure what you are suggesting here. Is it that everyone should park in parent and child spaces so that there is more room between cars? Or only those who take pride in their cars? Or perhaps that it's "idiot" parents who should be parking in those spaces - but aren't - that are then open their doors into others cars?

I'm not sure what parent and child spaces have to do with "idiots" that are less than careful about opening their car doors?

I'm also convinced that, while some people are just careless, in many cases where car doors bump into other cars, it's not malicious in any way - as some people seem to suggest - and is simply and accident.

I mean if you have a child, people openign their car doors and touching your car is something you don't need to worry about as much.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 15 2012, 10:54 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

or you could stop worshiping you car......

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Jun 15 2012, 11:06 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 15 2012, 11:54 AM) *
or you could stop worshiping you car......

That's my take. While I understand that some people take a great deal of pride in their cars, it does seem strange to me to worry about the minor damage that it may pick up during the course of its useful life. Things like small dings and paint chips are just the things that happen when you own a car. There is little/nothing you can do to prevent them, you can only rectify them afterward. So you can either fret about them, get angry about them or just accept it.

I used to work with a guy who owned a Porsche. He would park it at the far end of the car park away from any other car, just so that there was no way someone could open their door into it. I always thought that if he was that worried about his car picking up a ding, then maybe owning an expensive car isn't the best solution for him.

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Jun 15 2012, 11:15 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Just because you may not appreciate your vehicle, does not mean I (or others) don't. Each to their own. But at the same time, I don't really appreciate art, but if I went to a art gallery I wouldn't start touching all the paintings, or leaning up against them. I would still be very careful. I don't particularly like houses but when I go to someones house I won't slam the door, or open the door so far the handle smashes into the wall!

Stonechips are a part of life. Dents from people being ignorant, or careless, should not be. "Accident" is not an excuse. I am aware things happen and hence why I did not complain (too much) about the cause of the dent with any and only made an off the cuff mention to parent and baby spaces.

A bit disappointed really with the forum today.

I simply posted up some positive comments about a local worker, as I imagine many people have little dents they would like to get repaired, and may provide some feedback or information,and it turns into this?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 15 2012, 11:25 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Timbo @ Jun 15 2012, 12:15 PM) *
I simply posted up some positive comments about a local worker, as I imagine many people have little dents they would like to get repaired, and may provide some feedback or information,and it turns into this?

I think your OP was a useful and valuable post.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Jun 15 2012, 11:33 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Just because you may not appreciate your vehicle, does not mean I (or others) don't.

I appreciate my car, but I also appreciate that many things happen that are outside of my control.

...I don't really appreciate art, but if I went to a art gallery I wouldn't start touching all the paintings, or leaning up against them.

What a strange analogy. You're talking about two incomparable scenarios.

Stonechips are a part of life. Dents from people being ignorant, or careless, should not be.

Agreed. But, if you're a car owner they are.

"Accident" is not an excuse.

Well, it might not be one that you like, but in many cases people don't mean to do it, but for various reasons it happens. All the while it's not intentional then I would class it as an accident.

A bit disappointed really with the forum today.

Because not everyone on a thread agrees with you, or has a different point of view? What's to be dissapointed about?

I know, I agreed that it was good to find a local tradesperson that did a good job for you at a very good price. What are you worried that it's turned into? A discussion?

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Jun 15 2012, 12:45 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (massifheed @ Jun 15 2012, 12:33 PM) *
I appreciate my car, but I also appreciate that many things happen that are outside of my control.

Yes, like bird droppings. Nature. A bird doesn't really know. (at least, that's what the scientists say at the moment).
Dented panels, smashed windows, etc - are done by people, and people have brains.

What a strange analogy. You're talking about two incomparable scenarios.

Not really. I'm talking about someone enjoying something, valuable for whatever reason, and then someone disrespecting it. The analogy is a valid one. The art (car) is at risk of damage from people leaning on it or touching it (opening doors into cars, etc!)

Agreed. But, if you're a car owner they are.

I am not so naive to think things like damage don't happen, but how do you "accidentally" open your door into another's vehicle? When you park up you assess the space available, if there is little space you slowly open your door, until it either "latches" onto it's catch or you have to "hold" the door in a manner in which you can get out without it smashing into the car parked next to you.

Well, it might not be one that you like, but in many cases people don't mean to do it, but for various reasons it happens. All the while it's not intentional then I would class it as an accident.

The fact something is not done intentionally does not excuse it. This is a weird analogy but killing someone accidentally still carries a criminal charge. Now I know you can't compare denting a door to a death, but the principle is there. The fact something you didn't mean to do something doesn't excuse you from the action of doing it.

Because not everyone on a thread agrees with you, or has a different point of view? What's to be dissapointed about?

No, not at all. Just that your first post seemed to respond like I was just moaning - "it's only a car". I'm not and I was not worked up about the damage, I simply said a similar dent in a door could be removed for £50 (A price that I thought was very reasonable considering I thought I would have had to have a full door respray, or replace it, due to the dent. It was not meant as a sort of pre-cursor to a rant about careless carparkers!

Now I appreciate it may be due to how you or I read each others post but hey. Topics evolve and discussions change so that I can't help. I'm guilty of doing it in other threads, so hey.

t it was good to find a local tradesperson that did a good job for you at a very good price

cool.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 15 2012, 12:59 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Timbo @ Jun 15 2012, 01:45 PM) *
The fact something is not done intentionally does not excuse it.

People are not impeccable, for that reason you can excuse it. We are are human and we routinely make mistakes.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Jun 15 2012, 01:50 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Timbo @ Jun 15 2012, 01:45 PM) *
Just that your first post seemed to respond like I was just moaning - "it's only a car".

I didn't see it as moaning (although you would be perfectly entitled to a good moan). I just looked at it (and commented) from my point of view.

Still, the positive outcome of the situation is that you've found a local, reliable, well-priced tradesman. The same as plumbers, electricians etc. Worth their weight in gold.

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Jun 15 2012, 03:33 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Lol, OK then. smile.gif You're welcome to comment, maybe I was just a bit jumpy.. And yes your second point is very true.. I'll find out if Berkshire bodyshop are any good now, picking up my bumper!!

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 15 2012, 01:59 PM) *
People are not impeccable, for that reason you can excuse it. We are are human and we routinely make mistakes.

I do agree, but I just think people should be more respectful. Sometimes it is genuinely a mistake but there are plenty of people who just don't care regardless!

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Jun 15 2012, 03:49 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 15 2012, 12:25 PM) *

So do I.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jun 15 2012, 05:20 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 15 2012, 12:25 PM) *

Me too!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 15 2012, 05:22 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

As long as he has no association whatsoever with Dent Devils!
(Which I'm sure he hasn't.) biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Baffers100
post Jun 17 2012, 09:08 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,653

I am with you on this Timbo. It is very annoyin to spend your saturday cleaning your pride and joy, just to find some careless muppet has dinged it with their car door (usually shoddy parking, some people seem to thing the marked bays are for sh!ts and giggles).

I might get a quite from these chaps. I had a sizeable bit of tree fall on to the bonnet resulting in 2 dings which I am quite annoyed about. Always good to hear good things about local companies too.

+Quote Post
Brewmaster
post Jun 18 2012, 05:48 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 201

QUOTE (massifheed @ Jun 15 2012, 12:06 PM) *
I used to work with a guy who owned a Porsche. He would park it at the far end of the car park away from any other car, just so that there was no way someone could open their door into it. I always thought that if he was that worried about his car picking up a ding, then maybe owning an expensive car isn't the best solution for him.

This just proves the saying about the difference between a Porsche and a hedgehog. The hedgehog has the pricks on the outside.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:09 AM