Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kings Road parking?
Berkshirelad
post Aug 17 2009, 05:26 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 271

At the junction of Kings Road and Hectors Way is a set of traffic lights. For traffic heading to Sainsbury's and Scats these have a green arrow aspect pointing to the right. This means that traffic may only proceed to the right; to proceed in any other direction is illegal.

How then are people managing to park cars facing along Kings Road in the lay-by to the left of the junction?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 17 2009, 06:24 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

How do you mean?

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 17 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

if you mean where white van is, they are prefectly entitled to turn left immediatly before and after the first set of lights.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Aug 17 2009, 10:44 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 17 2009, 07:33 PM) *
if you mean where white van is, they are prefectly entitled to turn left immediatly before and after the first set of lights.

Yes. That's exactly where I mean.

And, no they are not entitled to turn left there as the lights show a green aspect of an arrow pointing right; mandating a right turn only at those lights.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 17 2009, 10:47 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Aug 17 2009, 11:44 PM) *
Yes. That's exactly where I mean.

And, no they are not entitled to turn left there as the lights show a green aspect of an arrow pointing right; mandating a right turn only at those lights.

If they are not allowed to turn left then how are they supposed to get to Sainsbury's or Scats?

Going one step further I've seen police and all sorts of cars turning left so obviously the sign means nothing.

+Quote Post
Jamoza
post Aug 17 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17

I think Berkshirelad means coming from the town centre. Not the other way

--------------------

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 17 2009, 11:25 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jamoza @ Aug 18 2009, 12:20 AM) *
I think Berkshirelad means coming from the town centre. Not the other way

Ok, thanks. If that is the case then you can't turn left because that is a one way street.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 18 2009, 06:41 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

But you can turn left before the lights, over the drop kerb and into the parking area.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 18 2009, 06:53 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

How else would the occupants of the 4 houses next to Denmark Road gain access to the front of their properties with vehicles.

Drive along the footpath?

If taken literally, vehicles would have to drive over the island.

Out of curiosity, why the sudden interest in that junction? It's been like that since it was built.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Aug 18 2009, 08:39 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 18 2009, 07:53 AM) *
How else would the occupants of the 4 houses next to Denmark Road gain access to the front of their properties with vehicles.

I would assume by coming along Kings Road from the other direction. There is no restriction on the traffic lights there

Out of curiosity, why the sudden interest in that junction? It's been like that since it was built.

My interest was piqued because somebody else of my acquaintance was given a TfL PCN in London for ignoring an arrowed green traffic light.

Ir caused me to do a bit of research and discover that these arrows are mandatory and no other signage is necessary

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Aug 18 2009, 08:40 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 18 2009, 07:41 AM) *
But you can turn left before the lights, over the drop kerb and into the parking area.

No, there is an island in the layby that prevents that

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Aug 18 2009, 10:40 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Aug 18 2009, 09:40 AM) *
No, there is an island in the layby that prevents that

I would suggest that you can turn left immediatly after the lights. Although there is right filter arrow states you must go right, I believe that common sense would suggest that access is allowed. The No entry (I think there are some) for the one way system do not start until further back so there would be no offence there. Providing you do not travel the wrong way up a one way road and do not contravene the no entry then immediate access to your property should be allowed.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Aug 18 2009, 11:42 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Aug 18 2009, 11:40 AM) *
I would suggest that you can turn left immediatly after the lights. Although there is right filter arrow states you must go right, I believe that common sense would suggest that access is allowed. The No entry (I think there are some) for the one way system do not start until further back so there would be no offence there. Providing you do not travel the wrong way up a one way road and do not contravene the no entry then immediate access to your property should be allowed.

Your belief, I'm afraid, is wrong.

The traffic light arrow signal mandates a right turn only at those lights; no other direction is permitted by that signal at that junction.

In truth, the wrong lights have been used and a standard green orb aspect would allow what actually happens and the no entry signs are perfectly adequate to prevent traffic moving straight ahead. I wonder if the right turn only is actually what the TRO (Traffic Regulation Order) states

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 18 2009, 12:19 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Aug 18 2009, 12:42 PM) *
In truth, the wrong lights have been used

Exactly. I'm sure the person who specified them was thinking "oh, we'd better use an arrow sign to warn drivers they are going to have to turn right in a moment because they might not see the no-entry signs". They could have added a "No left turn" sign to the (correct) lights to make it clear.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 18 2009, 05:04 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 18 2009, 01:19 PM) *
Exactly. I'm sure the person who specified them was thinking "oh, we'd better use an arrow sign to warn drivers they are going to have to turn right in a moment because they might not see the no-entry signs". They could have added a "No left turn" sign to the (correct) lights to make it clear.

err, isn't there an argument that 'the problem is too many signs for the average driver to process'.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 18 2009, 06:42 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 18 2009, 06:04 PM) *
err, isn't there an argument that 'the problem is too many signs for the average driver to process'.

I think some councils just love putting signs up for the **** of it. If there is a problem then putting more signs up won't solve the problem.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:35 AM