IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is there much point of this or other forums anymore?
GMR
post Sep 19 2016, 04:09 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

I keep forgetting to come on here sometimes because there is much better debates on Facebook pages. At one time I was an enthusiast of forums (even running one), but no more. Facebook has captured the market and you get a wider debate. On here you've got the same-old-same-old saying the same stuff. And when you do get newbies coming on here (like Petra) they are chased off and called the Trolls. No wonder this place is dying.

I noticed that NewburyToday has its own Facebook page and they use peoples comments for their letters' page. When this forum was created they used our comments for their paper, but no more. I also wonder if they know we exist on here or is this forum just kept in a dark corner for the Newbury nutters to voice their ramblings?

Another point; you can't really hide on Facebook as people usually write under their own name. That would bugger the Andy Capps' and others with stupid names up. Maybe they should rename this place the Twilight Zone.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 19 2016, 04:29 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

There may be something in that, but I'm far from convinced Facebook is the answer. Frankly, much of what happens in Facebook is far worse than anything I've ever seen here. It would also seem that the lack of anonymity actually encourages bad behaviour; but it is still easy enough to create a false identity. I still don't think social media is much more than an extended pub conversation; in very broad terms it might give a slight inducation of public opinion, but mainly it simply reinforces existing predudice. Again, it's also very easy to manipulate as it clearly had been in dime of the local instances. For those who would wish to input to or influence, it's not the answer; its simply entertainment, no more no less.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
newres
post Sep 19 2016, 04:46 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

Facebook discussions are generally foulmouthed and ill informed. Mind you, the latter is common on here too, but at least generally it's literate.,

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Sep 19 2016, 07:07 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,072

Look at the Facebook pages 'Parking like a **** in Newbury', Newbury Exposed' or 'Newbury Moaners and Debates'. You'll need to apply to join in some cases. I'm not sure they are what I'd call wider and deeper debates or even represent reason.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 19 2016, 07:28 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

While people post, there is a point. I see nothing great about the debates on facebook and as a debating medium I think it is hopeless; it's a glorified Twitter site.

GMR: Could you point me to some of these interesting debates on Facebook?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 19 2016, 09:11 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 19 2016, 05:29 PM) *
There may be something in that, but I'm far from convinced Facebook is the answer. Frankly, much of what happens in Facebook is far worse than anything I've ever seen here. It would also seem that the lack of anonymity actually encourages bad behaviour; but it is still easy enough to create a false identity. I still don't think social media is much more than an extended pub conversation; in very broad terms it might give a slight inducation of public opinion, but mainly it simply reinforces existing predudice. Again, it's also very easy to manipulate as it clearly had been in dime of the local instances. For those who would wish to input to or influence, it's not the answer; its simply entertainment, no more no less.

I'll agree with that OTE.
QUOTE (newres @ Sep 19 2016, 05:46 PM) *
Facebook discussions are generally foulmouthed and ill informed. Mind you, the latter is common on here too, but at least generally it's literate.,

Ill informed in as much as they don't agree with you newres, and you yourself are not entirely innocent of dealing out the insults! wink.gif
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 19 2016, 08:28 PM) *
While people post, there is a point. I see nothing great about the debates on facebook and as a debating medium I think it is hopeless; it's a glorified Twitter site.

And with that AC!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 20 2016, 04:41 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Facebook is a better answer than this forum or most forums. At least you get a wider debate with different people. But then again it depends on what Facebook pages you go on.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 20 2016, 04:43 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 19 2016, 08:28 PM) *
While people post, there is a point. I see nothing great about the debates on facebook and as a debating medium I think it is hopeless; it's a glorified Twitter site. GMR: Could you point me to some of these interesting debates on Facebook?

BBC, channel 4 Facebook pages and there are others. But then again I suppose it depends on what subject you engage with. I have had some good debates.

I don't like Twitter, but as I said, it depends on what you are debating and who with.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 25 2016, 04:09 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

When you say "much of what happens in Facebook is far worse than anything I've ever seen"; I presume you are talking local politics here? I agree, but I prefer more serious - national/ world - politics and there is plenty of good debates out there. The problem with local debates is the Newbury people, they don't know how to debate and are more interested in showing their superiority, foolishness and game play. Of course I am not suggesting that you don't get that when debating national politics, but there are more serious debaters than Newbury has.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 26 2016, 08:58 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 25 2016, 05:09 PM) *
When you say "much of what happens in Facebook is far worse than anything I've ever seen"; I presume you are talking local politics here? I agree, but I prefer more serious - national/ world - politics and there is plenty of good debates out there. The problem with local debates is the Newbury people, they don't know how to debate and are more interested in showing their superiority, foolishness and game play. Of course I am not suggesting that you don't get that when debating national politics, but there are more serious debaters than Newbury has.

I have seen no evidence that any of that is true. You like the rest of us have a certain arrogance that surfaces when the quarrelling starts.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 26 2016, 02:58 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 26 2016, 09:58 AM) *
I have seen no evidence that any of that is true. You like the rest of us have a certain arrogance that surfaces when the quarrelling starts.

Maybe I go down to your/ their level just to fit in. We usually respond or act depending on who are opponents are. When you've got a more intellectual debater or group of debaters one usually raises their game. Raising ones games when you are against inferior opposition would only go over their heads.

As for "no evidence"; I wouldn't expect you to say any different.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 26 2016, 05:18 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QED.

QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 26 2016, 03:58 PM) *
Maybe I go down to your/ their level just to fit in. We usually respond or act depending on who are opponents are. When you've got a more intellectual debater or group of debaters one usually raises their game. Raising ones games when you are against inferior opposition would only go over their heads.

As for "no evidence"; I wouldn't expect you to say any different.

It doesn't surprise me you haven't shown any examples of this superior debating experience, but I don't blame you as trying to pickup on an old thread is quite difficult in Facebook land.

You said:
QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 25 2016, 05:09 PM) *

In the main, all you have done is insult members and make hitherto groundless assertions. On one hand you resent the adversarial nature of debates on this form, then very soon you are guilty of employing those exact methods.

I'd be surprised if members of the Newbury Today forum are any different to any other group of people that like to chew the fat for a while. I also don't understand why people feel the need to have to post their grievances about this form and question why it is still used; there's room for everyone. Facebook is a convenient but facile message board, and this forum is just a corner of a pub for some regulars to have a chinwag.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Sep 26 2016, 05:33 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

In answer to the question in the title of this thread - was there ever much point in this or any other forum?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 26 2016, 06:28 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 26 2016, 06:18 PM) *
QED. It doesn't surprise me you haven't shown any examples of this superior debating experience, but I don't blame you as trying to pickup on an old thread is quite difficult in Facebook land. You said: In the main, all you have done is insult members and make hitherto groundless assertions. On one hand you resent the adversarial nature of debates on this form, then very soon you are guilty of employing those exact methods. I'd be surprised if members of the Newbury Today forum are any different to any other group of people that like to chew the fat for a while. I also don't understand why people feel the need to have to post their grievances about this form and question why it is still used; there's room for everyone. Facebook is a convenient but facile message board, and this forum is just a corner of a pub for some regulars to have a chinwag.

To show "superior debating skills" one needs an opponent to appreciate those skills, not somebody who is hostile and can't see no further than their nose.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 26 2016, 06:29 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Sep 26 2016, 06:33 PM) *
In answer to the question in the title of this thread - was there ever much point in this or any other forum?

It keeps people like Andy Capp happy. wink.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 26 2016, 06:50 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 26 2016, 07:28 PM) *
To show "superior debating skills" one needs an opponent to appreciate those skills, not somebody who is hostile and can't see no further than their nose.

You objected to or criticised a number of things which you are guilty of yourself.

I have asked you to support you arguments yet rather than do so, you have quickly resorted to ridicule.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 26 2016, 06:55 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 26 2016, 07:28 PM) *

If there is no-one on here with "superior debating skills" to match your own then why patronise?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 27 2016, 03:19 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 26 2016, 07:50 PM) *
You objected to or criticised a number of things which you are guilty of yourself. I have asked you to support you arguments yet rather than do so, you have quickly resorted to ridicule.

I stated a fact.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 27 2016, 03:21 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 26 2016, 07:55 PM) *
If there is no-one on here with "superior debating skills" to match your own then why patronise?

I wouldn't say I was "patronise". However, there has been some good debates on here when people can bother.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 27 2016, 04:01 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 27 2016, 04:21 PM) *
I wouldn't say I was "patronise". However, there has been some good debates on here when people can bother.

I use the word in this sense.........

patronise - be a regular customer or client of; "We patronise this store"
patronage, keep going, patronise, support.

Oh one of superior skills. tongue.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:12 AM