Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Every Litter Helps
Simon Kirby
post Oct 14 2013, 09:25 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

"All I want for Christmas is a puppy" is the slogan that Tesco are using in the background of a lifestyle image in their Christmas promotional material.

Every year thousands of dogs and other animals are given on a whim as Christmas gifts, and thousands of those animals are abandoned or destroyed in the new year. The Dogs Trust has campaigned for years with the slogan "A dog is for life not just for Christmas" to try and end this miserable trade, and now Tesco are sending the message that a puppy makes an acceptable Christmas gift. It doesn't, and Tesco have got this horribly, horribly wrong.

Puppies and Christmas are still firmly linked in the popular consciousness because shops keep using the image to sell their seasonal tat. It's the last time I'm shopping as Tesco.

Please end this appalling trade. You can let Tesco know how you feel here.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
shedboy
post Oct 14 2013, 09:40 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,849

Well said Simon. A friend of mine brings over unwanted dogs from Ireland & Europe & finds them loving homes. Some of them have been trated so badly that it is almost impossible to heal them. Dogs are amazing companions & deserve a much better deal than being given as presents at any time.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 14 2013, 10:04 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Someone has dropped a very big one in their advertising department; or at least I sincerely hope so.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Oct 14 2013, 10:41 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

I don't see the problem of using dogs to promote Christmas. Puppies in Christmas hats are cute.
I see much more advertising of Christmas through the baby & toddler thing than with animals. And yet that's somehow OK?

Lots of children and many people in fact love getting a pet as a Christmas present. I doubt there are many more dogs being abandoned around Christmas than throughout the rest of the year.

To say a Puppy is an "unacceptable (Christmas) present" is maybe unfair or more likely wrong? I do not see why it matters when a puppy or any animal for that matter is bought.

The people who do abandon such animals are likely to do so irrespective of whether they blurrily saw it on a poster in an advert for Tesco, and are no more likely to do it around Christmas then they would do in April.

I know several people who either gave or received a puppy as a present for Christmas, and not a single one has abused it, or abandoned it or put it in a bag full of bricks and thrown it in the river.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 14 2013, 11:02 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

In rational terms, you are probably right. Trouble is, the irrational cause the problem. Animal charities can confirm there is a significant increase in stray or abandoned animals post Christmas, which has declined over the past few years, since the RSPCA started using the slogan 'a dog is for life not just for Christmas'. The big issue I think, is that Tesco's Christmas campaign subverts and weakens the message. For instance, they wouldn't dream of having a wines and spirits promotion with the strap line 'one for the road' at Tesco!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Oct 14 2013, 11:03 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (motormad @ Oct 14 2013, 11:41 AM) *
I don't see the problem of using dogs to promote Christmas. Puppies in Christmas hats are cute.
I see much more advertising of Christmas through the baby & toddler thing than with animals. And yet that's somehow OK?

Lots of children and many people in fact love getting a pet as a Christmas present. I doubt there are many more dogs being abandoned around Christmas than throughout the rest of the year.

To say a Puppy is an "unacceptable (Christmas) present" is maybe unfair or more likely wrong? I do not see why it matters when a puppy or any animal for that matter is bought.

The people who do abandon such animals are likely to do so irrespective of whether they blurrily saw it on a poster in an advert for Tesco, and are no more likely to do it around Christmas then they would do in April.

I know several people who either gave or received a puppy as a present for Christmas, and not a single one has abused it, or abandoned it or put it in a bag full of bricks and thrown it in the river.

Well said MM, I agree.
If someone gives away an animal (Without first consulting the intended recipient),simply because of an advert then are very likely to be idiots anyway.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 14 2013, 11:46 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I agree that Tesco et al. should be more responsible and stop using pets in adverts. Sure they look cute; that's why many are inspired to buy one, but Christmas and the summer holidays are the busiest times for dog abandonment. I think we are much too casual with pet ownership.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2010/dec/...christmas-rspca
http://www.dogstrust.ie/mediacentre/pr12do...px#.UlvZLlPUfUk
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...eason-ends.html

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 14 2013, 11:48 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Oct 14 2013, 11:41 AM) *
I see much more advertising of Christmas through the baby & toddler thing than with animals. And yet that's somehow OK? ...

This is why what Tesco are doing is so wrong, because it makes the idea of giving a puppy at Christmas acceptable, and it isn't. There is always a surge in abandoned dogs after Christmas as the feckless mouth-breathers tire of their new toys, but the popularity of Christmas puppies also gives the puppy farms an outlet. Puppy farms deliberately target Christmas because they can sell at a better price when demand is high, but puppy farms keep their dogs in wretched miserable conditions and give no care to the genetic health of the animals they produce. Reputable breeders never breed for Christmas because a reputable breeder would never sell to anyone who wanted a Christmas puppy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bonnie
post Oct 14 2013, 11:58 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 127

A responsible breeder or rehoming centre will have any animal's best interests at heart,and normally not let them go to a new home during the festive season.
The problem seems to be when money enters into it.
Too many would be new owners don't realise the time and implications involved,every thing is strange to the new arrival and this can cause a lot of disruption for all.
By all means buy a pet,but be sure it is wanted,and buy a toy one in anticipation of the real thing,when the festivites are over.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 14 2013, 12:29 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (x2lls @ Oct 14 2013, 12:03 PM) *
Well said MM, I agree.
If someone gives away an animal (Without first consulting the intended recipient),simply because of an advert then are very likely to be idiots anyway.

....but the dog won't be. Nice!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Oct 14 2013, 02:02 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Oct 14 2013, 12:48 PM) *
This is why what Tesco are doing is so wrong, because it makes the idea of giving a puppy at Christmas acceptable, and it isn't. There is always a surge in abandoned dogs after Christmas as the feckless mouth-breathers tire of their new toys, but the popularity of Christmas puppies also gives the puppy farms an outlet. Puppy farms deliberately target Christmas because they can sell at a better price when demand is high, but puppy farms keep their dogs in wretched miserable conditions and give no care to the genetic health of the animals they produce. Reputable breeders never breed for Christmas because a reputable breeder would never sell to anyone who wanted a Christmas puppy.

Why is it unacceptable at Christmas but not in May?
There is no difference at all.

I have attempted to find some numbers of month-by-month dog abandonment but could not find any at all.

Our two dogs were bought as presents, one had to be put down at the age of 15 (by this time my arms were completely dead) and the other is living happily aged 12 and living at with my mother, but has since gone deaf (I would go deaf as well living with her rolleyes.gif).

You can apply specific criteria (eg the puppy farms which I have not heard anything about) but equally these puppy farms would not care more for the condition of their animals at any other time of the year.

The point is that people buying puppies thoughtlessly happens any time of the year.
Rather than attack Tesco for making a Christmas advert why not attack the all year round problem of people buying pets.

MOST people, 99.8% of dog owners, if they don't want their dog, will give it away to a friend, neighbour, or take it to a center. Only the idiots within the community will actually DUMP them - Those that do would do so any time of the year, not just Christmas.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with Tesco's behaviour and I think the anger is misguided

--------------------

+Quote Post
motormad
post Oct 14 2013, 02:40 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 14 2013, 01:29 PM) *
....but the dog won't be. Nice!

So we should be filtering WHO buys pets rather than WHEN.

dry.gif dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 14 2013, 03:32 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Oct 14 2013, 03:02 PM) *
I see absolutely nothing wrong with Tesco's behaviour and I think the anger is misguided

Every year charities see an increase in abandonments around the festive period and it is thought that it is because of a lot of unwanted gifts. Tesco et al. by publishing these sentimental adverts will only promote many to buy a pet where it will not be appreciated. Of course pets are bought all year round and abandoned, but it happens more at Christmas time, a time where some are trying to think of a 'nice' present for Christmas: : "Mummy, look at that cute dog in the advert, I want one, I want one!" kind of thing.

Personally, I disagree with any advertising using pets, any time of the year.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2010/dec/...christmas-rspca
http://www.dogstrust.ie/mediacentre/pr12do...px#.UlvZLlPUfUk
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...eason-ends.html

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 15 2013, 11:43 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (motormad @ Oct 14 2013, 03:40 PM) *
So we should be filtering WHO buys pets rather than WHEN.

dry.gif dry.gif

Both, obviously.

Presumably there will be enough backlash against the Tesco advertising that they will withdraw it.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 15 2013, 12:18 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

[code][/code]
QUOTE (JeffG @ Oct 15 2013, 12:43 PM) *
Presumably there will be enough backlash against the Tesco advertising that they will withdraw it.

It was in their Cristmas brochure, so if they're had them all printed in one go it'll cost them a lot of money to re-print so I can't see them wanting to do that.

But I won't be shopping there until they do.

--------------------

+Quote Post
motormad
post Oct 15 2013, 02:17 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

If you would normally shop at Tesco then you're only inconveniencing yourself there Simon.

Andy - I can see your point, but the links show very little information. Infact it says most were taken to centres! That's a good thing at least...
What is your viewpoint on using children to advertise, you always see adverts like that and it makes me sick to be honest! WHATS BEST FOR YOUR BABY and all that rubbish.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 15 2013, 02:33 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Oct 15 2013, 03:17 PM) *
Andy - I can see your point, but the links show very little information. Infact it says most were taken to centres! That's a good thing at least...

Maybe, but I understand that many of the these charities are at bursting point it seems.

What is your viewpoint on using children to advertise, you always see adverts like that and it makes me sick to be honest! WHATS BEST FOR YOUR BABY and all that rubbish.

Yes, I see your point, but I suppose provided the products are not harmful to anyone, there's little damage done. I also realise that if the world was according to me, we would do and have nothing, so I am not the best decision maker! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
motormad
post Oct 15 2013, 03:14 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

They are bursting already but I do not completely sympathise with them.

We have 4 people living at our house. Him and Her tried to adopt a puppy from dogs trust because there would not ALWAYS be someone at home.
Basically because we all have jobs and earn money we are not able to adopt.
Meaning dogs ultimately can only be adopted by people who either work from home or have no job..

--------------------

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 15 2013, 03:16 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Remember: A baby is for life, not just for Christmas!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 15 2013, 03:24 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 15 2013, 03:33 PM) *
Maybe, but I understand that many of the these charities are at bursting point it seems.

Yes, I see your point, but I suppose provided the products are not harmful to anyone, there's little damage done. I also realise that if the world was according to me, we would do and have nothing, so I am not the best decision maker! tongue.gif

The puppies will be arriving in store on December 21st. Like your turkey, you'll have to pre-order one. Aisle 24.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:41 AM