IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Here's a new one., Traffic not reading signs in Newbury Town Centre.
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 2 2009, 10:09 AM
Post #1

Guests

Just when you think you've seen it all.

Little blue car came over the canal bridge on Northbrook Street at 9.20 this morning and kept going straight on through the No Entry sign the wrong way up towards the Kennet Centre. The driver ignored two pedestrians who were trying to attract his/her attention and only gave up and did a 3 point turn when it was blocked by The Bricklayers Arms Pub by a van going the right way. huh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Jun 2 2009, 10:54 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 16

laugh.gif laugh.gif

I wonder what their excuse would be for that one!

+Quote Post
Anon
post Jun 2 2009, 12:56 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 113

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 2 2009, 11:09 AM) *
Just when you think you've seen it all.

Little blue car came over the canal bridge on Northbrook Street at 9.20 this morning and kept going straight on through the No Entry sign the wrong way up towards the Kennet Centre. The driver ignored two pedestrians who were trying to attract his/her attention and only gave up and did a 3 point turn when it was blocked by The Bricklayers Arms Pub by a van going the right way. huh.gif

Honestly what are some people on?!

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jun 2 2009, 01:19 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Good job he did stop otherwise we'd be reading how this poor motorist wrote their car off by hitting the bollards after not seeing a single sign. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Anon
post Jun 2 2009, 02:02 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 113

QUOTE (Darren @ Jun 2 2009, 02:19 PM) *
Good job he did stop otherwise we'd be reading how this poor motorist wrote their car off by hitting the bollards after not seeing a single sign. ohmy.gif

Indeed we would, don't think I could bear anothe rperson complaining about those bollards!!

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 2 2009, 02:47 PM
Post #6

Guests

Agree about the bollards except it was before ten so they were not operating.

Also you would think that if it had been after ten, unless an authorised vehicle had just gone through thus blocking our miscreant the bollards would have been up.

Amusing thought though, driving the wrong way up a one way street into bollards which are already upright? Wouldn't bet against it one day.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 2 2009, 02:47 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

This is not a rarity.... I've seen this happen on a number of occasions.

+Quote Post
Richard Head
post Jun 2 2009, 08:42 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 69

I've seen someone make it half way up the Parkway bridge the wrong way until they almost had a head-on with someone coming the correct way.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 5 2009, 11:20 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

It was probably their first and last visit to Newbury. They probably weren't speeding or driving recklessly, but merely trying to find their way to the car park and ended up in the wrong direction due to poor directional signage with no way of escaping. They probably couldn't reverse back down the street into a busy junction or mount the kerb as that would be breaking the law. If the road was wider they could have quickly and easily corrected their mistake, no harm no fowl. Instead if their car had proceeded to the bollards it would have been deliberately damaged to prevent them committing a minor traffic offence. An extreme measure which would result in the 'potential' hazard being diverted from the pedestrian and becoming a 'certain' hazard to the road user. The supposed justification for this is that they may have hit a vehicle coming the other way. You can't tell me that the pedestrians in Newbury are immune to being hit by buses and taxis going the wrong way!
It is probably because they were watching out for the traffic in front of them as well as the pedestrians around them, on top of trying to navigate around unfamiliar territory that they didn't see the signs for the one way. At the time they would not have been aware that they were committing an offence. They would have thought they could carry on around the one way system and somehow find their way back to the car park......or go home. They will probably will not be visiting Newbury again due to this poor signage. Comments from passing slack jawed yokels would have done nothing to endear them to the town either.

Sound familiar?

Same argument as per the perpetrator on the "Bollards" thread - different violation!
There's always an excuse for some of the terrible driving on the roads in town.

Must try harder! blink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 5 2009, 01:57 PM
Post #10

Guests

Biker1

Slack jawed yokels? Is that what you think of the average Newburian?

The bollards would NOT have been down if they'd managed to reach them before meeting other traffic head on because

a ) It was before 10 as I'd previously stated and

b ) If it had been after 10 the bollards would have been up and clearly visible, as was the NO ENTRY sign and RIGHT TURN director that would have been in front of them as they came over the Northbrook Street canal bridge.

Must do much better blink.gif

+Quote Post
Andy
post Jun 5 2009, 02:26 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

It's an easy mistake to make. After all the two 2ft wide bright red "No Entry" signs are, I think, probably 3.175 centimetres too high.

The council need to sort this hazard out immediately and improve the atrocious signage at this junction. Maybe even a warden could stand there waving his hands or some bright flags over his head to forewarn drivers coming from Northbrook Street over what is after all, a blind sighted bridge. We can then pay to mollycoddle the few useless drivers who blame anybody and anything on their inadequacies as a driver.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 5 2009, 04:05 PM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE (Andy @ Jun 5 2009, 03:26 PM) *
It's an easy mistake to make. After all the two 2ft wide bright red "No Entry" signs, I think, are probably 3.175 centimetres too high.

The council need to sort this hazard out immediately and improve the atrocious signage at this junction. Maybe even a warden could stand there waving his hands or some bright flags over his head to forewarn drivers coming from Northbrook Street over, what is after all, a blind sighted bridge. We can then pay to mollycoddle the few useless drivers who blame anybody and anything on their inadequacies as a driver.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 5 2009, 09:36 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Bill1

You obviously didn't understand and realise the point of the comment.

The words were originally used by the perpetrator of the Bollards thread elswhere on this site and I was comparing the comments to the offence that YOU instigated.
I was trying to show that there is an excuse for every traffic offence if you want to make one up.

In other words I was backing up your comments at the start of this thread.

Must do better by READING AND UNDERSTANDING each post wacko.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 6 2009, 07:36 PM
Post #14

Guests

Biker1

Ok sorry mate.

Thats the trouble with these forums they dont interpret facial expressions and tones of voice, if you get my meaning.

Will try much much harder.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 8 2009, 01:59 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Andy @ Jun 5 2009, 03:26 PM) *
It's an easy mistake to make. After all the two 2ft wide bright red "No Entry" signs are, I think, probably 3.175 centimetres too high.

The council need to sort this hazard out immediately and improve the atrocious signage at this junction. Maybe even a warden could stand there waving his hands or some bright flags over his head to forewarn drivers coming from Northbrook Street over what is after all, a blind sighted bridge. We can then pay to mollycoddle the few useless drivers who blame anybody and anything on their inadequacies as a driver.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

+Quote Post
Andy
post Jun 9 2009, 12:20 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 8 2009, 02:59 PM) *
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

biggrin.gif Ha Ha - Nothing like bitterness, when you've had your balls busted!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roost
post Jun 15 2009, 06:23 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

And I believe it's also "the highest form of intelligence".......!

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:15 AM