IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> A light hearted view of common spelling mistakes, Which ones get yer goat?
x2lls
post Dec 26 2012, 11:23 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 511

Looser, something that is ill fitting.
Loser, someone who fails to win.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Andy Capp
post Dec 27 2012, 11:12 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Not quite the same thing, but even BBC presenters cannot pronounce innovative properly. They use the Americanism: in-o-vay-tive instead of in-uh-vat-ive.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 27 2012, 11:18 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 27 2012, 11:12 AM) *
Not quite the same thing, but even BBC presenters cannot pronounce innovative properly. They use the Americanism: in-o-vay-tive instead of in-uh-vat-ive.

Which is correct? As we have no 'English Acadamy' must be majority rule; so in-o-vay-tive is right.,

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 27 2012, 11:40 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 27 2012, 11:18 AM) *
Which is correct? As we have no 'English Acadamy' must be majority rule; so in-o-vay-tive is right.,

I'd say Received Pronunciation is as close as it gets, but there is no right or wrong, it is a style thing. in-o-vay-tive is new and a seemingly American way of saying it.

BTW - if we are to accept majority rule, then 'Eastenders' is the best thing on telly at Christmas. wink.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 27 2012, 12:04 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 27 2012, 11:40 AM) *
I'd say Received Pronunciation is as close as it gets, but there is no right or wrong, it is a style thing. in-o-vay-tive is new and a seemingly American way of saying it.

BTW - if we are to accept majority rule, then 'Eastenders' is the best thing on telly at Christmas. wink.gif

What about Standard English? Received Pronunciation used by less than 5% of the population. One of the reasons 'English; has developed is its ability to evolve. Of course, there will be new words and idioms we don't like but we are not forced to use them. so there is a chance they'll go out of use.

What's wrong with Eastenders? Personally I don't like it, or others of its type, but that's a matter of personal choice. If we are to have a very expensive public service broadcaster, I'd much rather it delivered value to the mass audience, rather than have something imposed by those who think they are our betters! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 27 2012, 12:20 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 27 2012, 12:04 PM) *
What about Standard English? Received Pronunciation used by less than 5% of the population. One of the reasons 'English; has developed is its ability to evolve. Of course, there will be new words and idioms we don't like but we are not forced to use them. so there is a chance they'll go out of use. What's wrong with Eastenders? Personally I don't like it, or others of its type, but that's a matter of personal choice. If we are to have a very expensive public service broadcaster, I'd much rather it delivered value to the mass audience, rather than have something imposed by those who think they are our betters! rolleyes.gif

Argumentative today, aren't we? tongue.gif

OK, the masses know best do they? EastEnders appeals to the lowest common denominator, and just like the media, serve to titillate all that is insidious in human nature. Sure, if that doesn't matter let's all go that way. If the majority think we should leave Europe, regardless of the technical merits and ignorance of the mass, let's all go that way, that sounds sensible (irony). huh.gif

Most people do not have impeccable spelling, should we therefore default to that level? Personally, I'd rather a public broadcaster that can enlighten public awareness rather than have a race to the bottom. wink.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 27 2012, 06:10 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 27 2012, 12:20 PM) *
Argumentative today, aren't we? tongue.gif

OK, the masses know best do they? EastEnders appeals to the lowest common denominator, and just like the media, serve to titillate all that is insidious in human nature. Sure, if that doesn't matter let's all go that way. If the majority think we should leave Europe, regardless of the technical merits and ignorance of the mass, let's all go that way, that sounds sensible (irony). huh.gif

Most people do not have impeccable spelling, should we therefore default to that level? Personally, I'd rather a public broadcaster that can enlighten public awareness rather than have a race to the bottom. wink.gif

We certainly shouldn't default to lowest denominator, but then again we shouldn't pick up every single little nit that crops up. That's simply being pedantic and often an excuse to prevaricate. I am certainly no exemplar and don't claim to be. I've been picked up for bad spelling and usage only to discover that those criticising didn't actually know what they were talking about and had it wrong themselves. For instance, it is quite OK to start a sentence with and, also there is nothing really wrong with splitting infinitives. Absolutely fine when the meaning is in doubt but otherwise don't bother.

Eastenders appeals to a segment of the audience, in fact a majority. Who are you to set the standard? Regrettably the BBC has confused the role of public service broadcaster and provider of mass entertainment. That's why I firmly believe the BBC should be broken up. The commercial elements left to commercial stations. This would leave the BBC simply providing news and perhaps comment. We'd need to be very careful, having a State broadcaster charged with educating its audience might well suffer from the law of unintended consequences. There used to be a famous station in the east that did just that when the Soviet Union existed.

As for titillating all that is insidious in human nature; the Globe in Southwark still achieves that with Shakespeare - well worth a visit. They still let the likes of me and the great unwashed stand in the pit!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 27 2012, 07:00 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 27 2012, 06:10 PM) *
We certainly shouldn't default to lowest denominator, but then again we shouldn't pick up every single little nit that crops up. That's simply being pedantic and often an excuse to prevaricate. I am certainly no exemplar and don't claim to be. I've been picked up for bad spelling and usage only to discover that those criticising didn't actually know what they were talking about and had it wrong themselves. For instance, it is quite OK to start a sentence with and, also there is nothing really wrong with splitting infinitives. Absolutely fine when the meaning is in doubt but otherwise don't bother.

Eastenders appeals to a segment of the audience, in fact a majority. Who are you to set the standard? Regrettably the BBC has confused the role of public service broadcaster and provider of mass entertainment. That's why I firmly believe the BBC should be broken up. The commercial elements left to commercial stations. This would leave the BBC simply providing news and perhaps comment. We'd need to be very careful, having a State broadcaster charged with educating its audience might well suffer from the law of unintended consequences. There used to be a famous station in the east that did just that when the Soviet Union existed.

As for titillating all that is insidious in human nature; the Globe in Southwark still achieves that with Shakespeare - well worth a visit. They still let the likes of me and the great unwashed stand in the pit!

I think you underestimate the ability that TV has to subvert behaviour in people, particularly the young and naive. Drawing analogy between Shakespeare's Globe and EastEnders is silly as is insinuating the alternative should be state controlled TV. I'm merely pointing out that popularity doesn't mean better.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 27 2012, 08:20 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 27 2012, 07:00 PM) *
I think you underestimate the ability that TV has to subvert behaviour in people, particularly the young and naive. Drawing analogy between Shakespeare's Globe and EastEnders is silly as is insinuating the alternative should be state controlled TV. I'm merely pointing out that popularity doesn't mean better.

What is better then? That isn't a smart question, I'd really like to know. Soap Operas have been very popular for many years. EastEnders is written by a professional team and played by professional and very well paid actors. What's wrong with it? It isn't to my taste and certainly not to yours, but I can't see why you consider it base. The comparison with Shakespeare is very pertinent. He was creating the 'soaps' of the day and suffered from exactly the same criticism.

We can all call for more comedy / documentary / historic drama and so on, but the fact remains, one man's meat is another man's poison. The broadcaster will go for the most popular, of course, or he's out of business. Popular might not mean better but it doesn't mean bad either.

Turning to television and its ability to corrupt, I was just trying to point out that it does not need to be monopolised by a public service broadcaster. One of the alternatives is state control, the other is strict regulation. I worry more about the present set up, where the BBC has assumed the role of arbiter, the voice of reason and challenge. That is just as dangerous than the alternatives.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 27 2012, 08:22 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 27 2012, 08:20 PM) *
The broadcaster will go for the most popular, of course, or he's out of business. Popular might not mean better but it doesn't mean bad either.

Noo they won't though will they because it's the "uniquely funded" BBC. Their remit is not to be popular, (not solely anyway), but to offer a wide range of everything to please all groups, no matter how large or small.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 27 2012, 08:36 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 27 2012, 08:22 PM) *
Noo they won't though will they because it's the "uniquely funded" BBC. Their remit is not to be popular, (not solely anyway), but to offer a wide range of everything to please all groups, no matter how large or small.

Who defines how well they succeed? The Politicians. What are they driven by? popular acclaim.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 27 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 27 2012, 08:36 PM) *
Who defines how well they succeed? The Politicians. What are they driven by? popular acclaim.

It is an independent board. My feelings about EastEnders are personal and are neither irrelevant, nor fact. I believe the analogy about Shakespeare and EastEnders being bogus is because they are different things. One was an outlet playing a wide variety of performances to thousands, the other is a particular story playing to millions. Other than that, I don't believe Shakespeare and his other writers always wrote well, but Shakespeare wrote some of the most recognisable and influential text in the history of story telling.

In my view, EastEnders is largely unrealistic, corny and unimaginative, but I believe that is true of most soaps these days: all battling for the same audience. The thing is, you seem to miss my point of my bringing the topic of EastEnders up. I'm not saying it shouldn't exist, I am simply illustrating what happens if you leave it up to the 'masses'. X Factor et al. is another example.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 27 2012, 10:26 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 27 2012, 10:12 PM) *
It is an independent board. My feelings about EastEnders are personal and are neither irrelevant, nor fact. I believe the analogy about Shakespeare and EastEnders being bogus is because they are different things. One was an outlet playing a wide variety of performances to thousands, the other is a particular story playing to millions. Other than that, I don't believe Shakespeare and his other writers always wrote well, but Shakespeare wrote some of the most recognisable and influential text in the history of story telling.

In my view, EastEnders is largely unrealistic, corny and unimaginative, but I believe that is true of most soaps these days: all battling for the same audience. The thing is, you seem to miss my point of my bringing the topic of EastEnders up. I'm not saying it shouldn't exist, I am simply illustrating what happens if you leave it up to the 'masses'. X Factor et al. is another example.

The Tempest (say) and an episode of Eastenders are both exactly the same thing. A performance for entertainment. The difference is that one is contemporary and the other historic. If your point is that Eastenders is a result of what happens when things are 'left to the masses', there are far better analogies; the latest generation of talent show and all of reality TV, both of which are also exploiting weakness and so are offensive.

The 'masses' have no real say in what output they watch. That's up to the executive management of this 'independent board'. My argument against the BBC is that if this independent board was as free as you imply, in the light of its charter, how come it panders to the masses with what you consider bilge? Might just as well have state control and do away with the pretence.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 27 2012, 11:33 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 27 2012, 10:26 PM) *
The Tempest (say) and an episode of Eastenders are both exactly the same thing. A performance for entertainment. The difference is that one is contemporary and the other historic.

Which one do you think will be remembered more in hundreds of years time?

The Tempest, while not wholly original, has inspired countless adaptations and taught in schools all over the world.

If your point is that Eastenders is a result of what happens when things are 'left to the masses', there are far better analogies; the latest generation of talent show and all of reality TV, both of which are also exploiting weakness and so are offensive.

Using your own argument, who are you to judge? Although from a technical point of view, I agree.

The 'masses' have no real say in what output they watch. That's up to the executive management of this 'independent board'. My argument against the BBC is that if this independent board was as free as you imply, in the light of its charter, how come it panders to the masses with what you consider bilge? Might just as well have state control and do away with the pretence.

Sorry, that is illogical and suggests you are missing my point. I never gave any opinion on the independence of the BBC, and I don't agree that we should hand the BBC over to the state. I haven't even said that EastEnders should be abolished, I simply said I think it is toilet and represents a poor influence on society.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- x2lls   A light hearted view of common spelling mistakes   Dec 26 2012, 11:23 AM
- - Biker1   QUOTE (x2lls @ Dec 26 2012, 12:23 PM) Loo...   Dec 26 2012, 11:32 AM
|- - Andy Capp   Should of and should've.   Dec 26 2012, 11:35 AM
- - Strafin   I agree with Andy, that's the worst one!   Dec 26 2012, 11:48 AM
- - On the edge   Well, I'll just go with Mark Twain 'I don...   Dec 26 2012, 12:22 PM
- - lordtup   If one really wishes to experience spelling at her...   Dec 26 2012, 01:25 PM
- - JeffG   Like Biker1 it's bad grammar that get me. ...   Dec 26 2012, 04:47 PM
- - Exhausted   There is... Their toys.....   Dec 26 2012, 05:32 PM
|- - Andy Capp   QUOTE (Exhausted @ Dec 26 2012, 05:32 PM)...   Dec 26 2012, 06:58 PM
|- - Exhausted   QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 26 2012, 06:58 PM)...   Dec 26 2012, 09:25 PM
|- - Andy Capp   QUOTE (Exhausted @ Dec 26 2012, 09:25 PM)...   Dec 26 2012, 10:45 PM
- - blackdog   My favourite ebay listing is one that has been goi...   Dec 26 2012, 08:03 PM
- - motormad   As long as I can read the sentence I don't rea...   Dec 26 2012, 08:19 PM
|- - x2lls   QUOTE (motormad @ Dec 26 2012, 08:19 PM) ...   Dec 26 2012, 09:14 PM
- - CBW137Y   Here's a blinding effort for you taken from a ...   Dec 26 2012, 09:54 PM
|- - x2lls   QUOTE (CBW137Y @ Dec 26 2012, 09:54 PM) H...   Dec 26 2012, 09:57 PM
|- - Biker1   QUOTE (CBW137Y @ Dec 26 2012, 10:54 PM) H...   Dec 27 2012, 10:31 AM
|- - massifheed   QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 27 2012, 10:31 AM) ...   Dec 27 2012, 10:41 AM
- - NORTHENDER   Their/there who give a phuck   Dec 27 2012, 09:52 AM
|- - Biker1   QUOTE (NORTHENDER @ Dec 27 2012, 10:52 AM...   Dec 27 2012, 10:27 AM
|- - On the edge   QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 27 2012, 10:27 AM) Ye...   Dec 27 2012, 11:07 AM
|- - Exhausted   QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 27 2012, 10:27 AM) Fo...   Dec 27 2012, 11:54 AM
|- - Biker1   QUOTE (Exhausted @ Dec 27 2012, 12:54 PM)...   Dec 27 2012, 02:22 PM
- - JeffG   Here's another one: redundant apostrophe's...   Dec 27 2012, 10:45 AM
|- - Exhausted   QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 27 2012, 10:45 AM) Her...   Dec 27 2012, 11:01 AM
|- - Exhausted   QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 27 2012, 10:45 AM) Her...   Dec 27 2012, 11:48 AM
|- - Andy Capp   QUOTE (Exhausted @ Dec 27 2012, 11:48 AM)...   Dec 27 2012, 11:52 AM
- - x2lls   Bought and brought   Dec 27 2012, 11:05 AM
- - NORTHENDER   In my long working life (I'm 70 now) and still...   Dec 27 2012, 11:10 AM
|||- - On the edge   QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 27 2012, 11:33 PM)...   Dec 28 2012, 08:02 AM
|||- - Andy Capp   QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 28 2012, 08:02 A...   Dec 28 2012, 11:33 AM
||- - Squelchy   QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 27 2012, 08:22 PM) N...   Dec 27 2012, 09:12 PM
|- - motormad   QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 27 2012, 11:18 A...   Dec 27 2012, 12:41 PM
|- - Andy Capp   QUOTE (motormad @ Dec 27 2012, 12:41 PM) ...   Dec 27 2012, 12:49 PM
- - x2lls   The wonderful G.W.Bush and the word Nuclear, neuca...   Dec 27 2012, 11:15 AM
- - motormad   But why force "progress"? It's not e...   Dec 27 2012, 01:01 PM
|- - Andy Capp   QUOTE (motormad @ Dec 27 2012, 01:01 PM) ...   Dec 27 2012, 01:24 PM
|- - Jayjay   QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 27 2012, 01:24 PM)...   Dec 27 2012, 02:44 PM
|- - Andy Capp   QUOTE (Jayjay @ Dec 27 2012, 02:44 PM) ar...   Dec 27 2012, 03:07 PM
|- - Squelchy   QUOTE (Jayjay @ Dec 27 2012, 02:44 PM) ar...   Dec 27 2012, 03:28 PM
|- - Andy Capp   QUOTE (Jayjay @ Dec 27 2012, 02:44 PM) ar...   Dec 27 2012, 03:42 PM
|- - stewiegriffin   QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 27 2012, 03:42 PM)...   Dec 27 2012, 04:49 PM
|- - Andy Capp   QUOTE (stewiegriffin @ Dec 27 2012, 04:49...   Dec 27 2012, 04:55 PM
|- - On the edge   QUOTE (stewiegriffin @ Dec 27 2012, 04:49...   Dec 27 2012, 06:12 PM
|- - stewiegriffin   QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 27 2012, 06:12 P...   Dec 27 2012, 06:25 PM
|- - On the edge   QUOTE (stewiegriffin @ Dec 27 2012, 06:25...   Dec 27 2012, 06:33 PM
- - Biker1   And another thing - the way people mis-spell their...   Dec 27 2012, 02:24 PM
- - JeffG   QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 27 2012, 10:27 AM) Fo...   Dec 27 2012, 03:05 PM
|- - Biker1   QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 27 2012, 05:05 PM) Ha ...   Dec 28 2012, 10:15 AM
- - Strafin   http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/story/20...stabb...   Dec 27 2012, 06:46 PM
|- - On the edge   QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 27 2012, 06:46 PM) h...   Dec 27 2012, 08:33 PM
|- - Exhausted   QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 27 2012, 06:46 PM) h...   Dec 28 2012, 12:01 PM
- - On the edge   Thanks for that. Makes you wonder why we need a W...   Dec 27 2012, 09:43 PM
- - x2lls   Thread and off topic can be quite annoying!   Dec 28 2012, 08:05 AM
|- - Biker1   QUOTE (x2lls @ Dec 28 2012, 09:05 AM) Thr...   Dec 28 2012, 09:57 AM
- - Andy Capp   QUOTE (x2lls @ Dec 28 2012, 08:05 AM) Thr...   Dec 28 2012, 11:41 AM
|- - Biker1   QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 28 2012, 01:41 PM)...   Dec 28 2012, 12:19 PM
||- - Andy Capp   QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 28 2012, 12:19 PM) No...   Dec 28 2012, 12:25 PM
||- - JeffG   QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 28 2012, 12:19 PM) No...   Dec 28 2012, 12:56 PM
||- - Exhausted   QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 28 2012, 12:56 PM) In ...   Dec 28 2012, 01:31 PM
||- - Andy Capp   QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 28 2012, 12:56 PM) In ...   Dec 28 2012, 02:17 PM
||- - Biker1   QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 28 2012, 04:17 PM)...   Dec 28 2012, 06:09 PM
||- - JeffG   QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 28 2012, 06:09 PM) Po...   Dec 28 2012, 11:05 PM
||- - Exhausted   QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 28 2012, 11:05 PM) Onl...   Dec 29 2012, 11:02 AM
||- - Andy Capp   QUOTE (Exhausted @ Dec 29 2012, 11:02 AM)...   Dec 29 2012, 11:09 AM
||- - Exhausted   QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 29 2012, 11:09 AM)...   Dec 29 2012, 03:29 PM
|- - Exhausted   QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 28 2012, 11:41 AM)...   Dec 28 2012, 12:28 PM
|- - Andy Capp   QUOTE (Exhausted @ Dec 28 2012, 12:28 PM)...   Dec 28 2012, 12:33 PM
- - Simon Kirby   Mute and moot: To mute a idea is to silence it, b...   Dec 29 2012, 12:12 PM
|- - JeffG   QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Dec 29 2012, 12:12 P...   Dec 29 2012, 02:29 PM
|- - Exhausted   QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 29 2012, 02:29 PM) Of ...   Dec 29 2012, 03:41 PM
|- - x2lls   QUOTE (Exhausted @ Dec 29 2012, 03:41 PM)...   Dec 29 2012, 08:20 PM
- - Andy Capp   You missed an 'an' in that! I agre...   Dec 29 2012, 12:24 PM
|- - Simon Kirby   QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 29 2012, 12:24 PM)...   Dec 29 2012, 01:15 PM
- - Andy Capp   To be fair, if I was guilty of making a repetitive...   Dec 29 2012, 02:04 PM
- - JeffG   Thee do speak proper now, though.   Dec 29 2012, 05:01 PM
|- - Andy Capp   QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 29 2012, 05:01 PM) The...   Dec 29 2012, 09:14 PM
- - JeffG   Book Online dictionary   Dec 29 2012, 10:32 PM
|- - x2lls   QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 29 2012, 10:32 PM) Boo...   Dec 29 2012, 10:40 PM
- - Nothing Much   Just a light anecdote . From the Guardian. http...   Dec 31 2012, 06:28 PM
- - Nothing Much   Sorry folks It should have been Richard Vosburgh. ...   Dec 31 2012, 06:31 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 12:12 AM