Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Sensitive Material in Wrong Hands
JMH
post Jun 5 2009, 11:52 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 133

It would seem that the lady who accidentally recieved highly confidential and sensitive information in error clearly took quite some time to read it all!

wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Andrea
post Jun 9 2009, 11:49 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 8 2009, 07:49 PM) *
Not really; I've got letters that weren't addressed to me and opened them. I automatically open them without looking at the address. You can't help opening something that was put through your letter box.

Interfering with mail - Postal Services Act 2000 Section 84

Triable Summarily (Magistrates court)
6 Months and or a fine (Max)

A person commits an offence if they without reasonable excuse intentionally delay or open a postal packet in the course of transmission by post or intentionally opens a mail bag.

A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person's detriment and without reasonable excuse, opens a postal packet which they know or suspect to have been delivered incorrectly.

If you work for the Post service you could commit other offences under Section 83 triable either way (Magistrates or Crown court) and get a sentence of 2 years and or a fine.

It's ridiculous you don't check the name on the envelope before opening it. My mother who has lived at her address for 20 years still checks everything that is delivered to her, and on several occasions she still gets post not meant for her.

It is illegal and how would you feel if someone received a private letter meant for you and they opened it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th June 2024 - 02:28 PM